Level 2 Media Studies
Teacher to contact with questions: Ms C. Last
Media Studies has never been more relevant to our lives than in this age of ever changing technology and media content. The subject offers active exploration, analysis, creation and enjoyment of the media and its products. It examines the dynamic role of media in our society, how the media constructs messages about individuals, communities and cultures and how media products are produced, controlled and distributed.
This course combines theory and analysis of how media influences audiences through film, news media and advertising as well as giving creative opportunities to produce media content.
This course will cover:
- A study of damaging gender stereotypes in music videos, advertising and film.
- Adaptation of a short story into a screenplay or create an original screenplay.
- Creation of a short narrative film or film trailer.
- Close analysis of film conventions in a feature film or short film.
- A study of how a specific genre has evolved over time. This may be: science fiction, superhero films, 'coming of age' dramas, or movie franchises.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
1B5/1B8 Exercise book OR refill and ringbinder
Recommended Prior Learning
An interest in the news, watching films, reading about films, watching TV and online streaming platforms as well as gaming, YouTube and advertising.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
Total Credits Available: 19 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Copywriter, Actor, Art Director, Artistic Director, Director, Entertainer, Film and Video Editor, Film/Television Camera Operator, Media Producer, Production Assistant, Radio Presenter, Sound Technician, Television Presenter, Illustration and animation, Journalism, Video Game Designer and Developer, Graphic Design, Photography, Publishing, Media and Music, Museum Curator, Teacher, Editor, Software Designer, Web Design and Developer, Talent Agent, Publicist, Producer, Voice Actor, Visual Effects, Public Relations Office, Social Media Marketing, Advertising, Publishing, Promotions.,